What color eyes will your baby have??!

Being the science geek that I am, I've found a few algorithms to more closely determine the potential eye color of my future baby! I thought maybe others were curious, so here is a simplified version of the research I did..

I have brown eyes, (I'm Persian) my husband has blue eyes (Swedish/Dutch/ you know, typical mut!)

Since brown is a dominant gene and blue is recessive, the only way my baby has a chance of getting blue eyes, is if I am a blue eyed gene carrier (which I am).

You can determine this by looking at your family! Do you have any parents/grandparents/uncles/aunts with colored eyes? If so, you are too! (obviously of your parents have colored eyes and you have brown, the recessive gene may be more dominant than if an aunt or uncle, for example, have colored eyes!)

The chances of my baby having brown eyes is 50 percent. Blue is 30, green is 10 and hazel/any other color is about 10 as well (leaving some room for scientific error!)

Pretty cool huh?? I have also seen a direct correlation between eye color and gender! For example, if mom has brown eyes and dad has blue, if the baby is a BOY he is more likely to get MOMS eye color (so kinda flipped!) and if it's a girl, more likely to get dads eye color!!

Sorry, I know this is kind of long, but I found it sooo interesting!!! :)
REPLIES
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Nov 29, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
Hm I wonder what my son will have... Dh has brown eyes, as well as his whole family. Both sides of my family are mostly hazel eyed. Can't wait to see!
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Oct 24, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
The father to my first two had brown eyes..Thus I have dark brown almost black eyes and both my Boys have bright BLUE eyes..
The father to this baby has Green eyes..I still have brown..and his two children have blue eyes..
So I am stuck thinking this baby will have blue eyes also and I won't have a kid with brown :(
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Sep 19, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
awww that is interesting i would love my son to have dh eye colour (blue) im Indian (British) so dark hair dark eyes, DH is white, light brown hair blue eyes! my two sis have hazel eyes but all brown in our family inc aunts uncles etc
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Apr 24, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
that's really interesting.... I have brown eyes (mediterranian decent) and based on your research I would be a blue eyed gene "carrier" (my father has blue eyes) yet my daughter has bright blue eyes and both her dad and i have brown eyes. My husband now has green eyes and with my brown it's interesting to consider if our child will have green, blue or brown eyes...
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Oct 28, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
We women always want what we don't have!! I'm hoping for blue with a persian complexion, but all you have is blue so you want brown!! Haha!

Yes middle eastern genes are strong so we will see!! Indian babies are gorgeous regardless :)

I just wish babies would be born with a color and stick with it!! Haha! Cause they can tease us with a color then change!!b
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Nov 21, 2010
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
That's pretty cool...My fiance has light green eyes and mine are hazel..so we were pretty shocked to see denim blue eyes on our one year old twin girls..they're now predominantly green with some brown and I'm convinced they'll remain that way...I'm so excited to see how this little one turns out
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Sep 15, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
I'm guessing our daughter will have brown. I am white and have blue/green eyes and blonde hair and husband is black with obviously black hair and brown eyes! Our first daughter has big pretty brown eyes and brown curly hair. I'm assuming our daughter #2 will be the same
I could be wrong so we shall see!! Lol
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Oct 19, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
I have blue eyes & my husband has brown. My son has blue eyes. (I won!, lol)

I'm hoping our daughter has blue eyes as well. If it wasn't for my son having blue eyes, I wouldn't be so sure he was mine, he's a mini version of my hubby.
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Oct 04, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
My husband and I both have blue eyes...our baby girl will be blue eyed right?
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Sep 06, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
I know my son will definitely have brown eyes. My bf and I both have brown eyes. I do have the blue eye gene bc my dad has blue eyes. However my bf is black.... no chance he has the blue eye gene.
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Oct 28, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
Kscott- the chances of you having a blue eyed baby is VERY high, but anything in science in possible. My husband has blue eyes, his mom has green and his dad has blue. My husbands brother has brown eyes though! So as you can see, my husband got his dads eyes while his brother got his grandmothers..

Without doing the complete algorithm, I would say your baby has a 90% chance of blue and 10% chance of something else. Like I said, this is an educated guess, but you can roughly understand the chances...
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Aug 18, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
That is really funny. Hubby and I were just arguing, yet again, over what color our son's eyes are. They are a darker hazel, more brown than green but there is still green in there!!! He's insistent that they are pure brown. He has brown as does his twin brother and his father. His mother and sister have dark blue eyes. My dad and daughter have bright blue eyes, I have dark blue/green eyes and my mom and sister have green hazel eyes. It will be very interesting to see what this little guy will end up with!!
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Sep 27, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
Love this post my husband and I were just discussing this. Almost my whole family has blue eyes but his family has a mixture of colors. My son has my eye color and now that we are having a girl we are curious as to what eye color she will have.
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Sep 09, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
My fiance, both my parents n his parents and myself all have blue eyes....
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Sep 28, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
Im pretty sure my baby will have blue eyes. We both have blue eyes, and most of our family has blue eyes. The question is will he get my blue or his fathers blue, I hope he gets my so shade, he has beautiful eyes.
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Sep 28, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
Im pretty sure my baby will have blue eyes. We both have blue eyes, and most of our family has blue eyes. The question is will he get my blue or his fathers blue, I hope he gets my so shade, he has beautiful eyes.
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since May 29, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
okay, figure my family out. my mom has brown eyes and my dad has blue eyes. my brother has green eyes, I have hazel eyes and my sister has blue eyes. FIL has green, MIL has brown, both dh's sisters have blue and he has brown.
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Aug 24, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
Let's see. I'm blonde hair blue eyes. My side of the family all have blue eyes. Hubby has light brown hair and eyes. His mom has blonde hair and blue eyes, his dad has dark hair and dark eyes. His sister has light brown hair and blue eyes. I think our baby will have light hair and light eyes!!
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Nov 06, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
We both have blue eyes, so a blue eyed boy a will have!
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Sep 21, 2011
Posted: on Jan 10, 2012
My husband is Persian and I don't think anyone in his family has colored eyes. I'm likely a carrier for blue (brown eyed blue carrier mom, blue eyed dad, I have hazel eyes) but I think my twins will end up brown. We'll see!
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Sep 03, 2011
Posted: on Jan 11, 2012
Boyfriend and I both have baby blues and blonde hair. My parents have blue and green. His Dad has blue. Don't know about his Mom she's gone to heaven so I'm thinking blue for our baby boy : )
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Feb 15, 2011
Posted: on Jan 11, 2012
I have blue eyes, and my DH has brown. DH's father is from northern France, and he has light blue eyes, and his mom dark brown. My immediate family has brown or hazel. My DD ended up with blue, so hubs obviously ended up with a recessive blue trait somewhere!!
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Sep 25, 2011
Posted: on Jan 11, 2012
I have green eyes, DH has blue, my mom has green, dad blue, mil has hazel, fil blue. Dd has blue, ds has blue. Maybe this one (dd) will have green lol! ;)
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Sep 28, 2011
Posted: on Jan 11, 2012
DH and I both have blue, so assuming (and hoping) my little girls will too...
By: BabyBumpUser
Member since Nov 10, 2011
Posted: on Jan 11, 2012
Ok. My wife has brown eyes and I have baby blue eyes. So what would b my baby's eyes colt? Or the chances?

Mobile View | Full Site